Sweden - MATS BERGQUIST

Mats Bergquist

Mats Bergquist

Svezia • Sweden

Words cannot explain everything [...]. But there is a point when uttering a word equals to removing infinite expressive possibilities [...].

To write about Bergquist’s works is like uttering a word, a unique word embracing everything [...].

As I entered the location where some of Bergquist’s works were exhibited, I felt a scent of wooden boards and color, an antique scent [...]. It was the scent of icons, of which I perceived the sense, as if, once every figurative and allegoric element was removed, only the endless dialogue with the beyond, with other space, was left.

Once everything is removed, only a flimsy veneer of dialogue, of affection, towards something anonymous is left. It is in this dialogue that I see emerging an unexpected presence that can’t find space in classic icons [...]. The shadow is the element better representing the solidity of the matter, the human manifestation contrasting with the divine presence, now emerging [...].

It is a dialogue venturing in a land between the here and there, as the connection in the Byzantine basilicas between the round cupola and the square base, an architectural therefore theological problem. In the resulting space a connection figure is born. In that angle, in the Byzantine and Christian iconography, we find the angel, a figure set among sky, circle, earth and square.

[...] This is the sacred iconographic space, implying a duality between sky and earth, an antique perspective, on which Mats Bergquist moves with respect, silence and subtlety - a space in which also words stop, in which every instant of dialogue with it is sacred and tells us of another eternal, deep and absolute beyond.

Marco Mioli

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Privacy Policy.